Born in New York, NY, to the Rev. James Meeker and Emma (Orr) Ludlow, William O. Ludlow earned his degree in mechanical engineering at Stevens Institute of Technology in 1892. Subsequently he was employed in New York by Carrere & Hastings (1892 to 1895). Thereafter he returned to New Jersey, where he established Ludlow & Valentine in 1895. This firm lasted until 1909 when the title changed to Ludlow & Peabody, an office which endured until 1935. In 1935 the name again changed, this time to Ludlow & Ludlow, with an office in Summit, NJ.
According to the 1939 Who's Who Ludlow and his firms produced: 40 college buildings, 20 churches, and a large number of banks, hospitals and other building types, over 400 in all.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- New Jersey Society of Architects
- Stevens Institute of Technology
Baltimore Architecture Project |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.