Edwin F. Bertolett moved to Philadelphia in 1887 to work as an architect and civil engineer, according to the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide. He had graduated from the Polytechnic College of the State of Pennsylvania, based in Philadelphia, in 1875, having begun his attendance there in 1873. Throughout most of his career in Philadelphia he practiced alone, only sharing an office informally with Raymond Mathews in 1914-15 and with Max Bernhardt from 1929 to 1930.
Bertolett's practice was a general one in the Norristown and Pottstown vicinities. This is possibly because his family, an important one in Montgomery County, had a number of connections in those towns. While maintaining an office in Philadelphia, Bertolett resided in Bryn Mawr for the last 20 years of his life.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Baltimore Architecture Project |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.